100+ auditions... still no work.

guylanglois
guylanglois Member, Voices_Premium

Hello,

I've created my account a couple of weeks ago. I've been a professionnal voice actor for 10 years, working both in English (North American accent) and French (my native language).

I've submitted more than 100 auditions over the course of 2 weeks and a half, with an average of 7 auditions/day. So far, I've been shortlisted only once, and half of my auditions haven't been listened to. Which is kind of frustrating.

I always try to be in the middle range in terms of prices, and I also work with professionnal equipment. My profile is completed and my submissions are always detailed. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm starting to feel this platform is eating a lot of my time for mediocre results... Any tips? Thanks.

Comments

• chriselle
    chriselle Member, Voices_Premium
    First Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I hope you get an answer!

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic

Hi @guylanglois, thanks for posting about this. You certainly have the skills, experience, and equipment to earn work, and it's clear that your profile and demos don't leave anything lacking, which is the common first issue to come from these sorts of frustrations.

I can only assure you that you're on the right track, especially with the work ethic on display to pump out that many auditions over that short time. My recommendation if you continue to feel frustrated at the lack of results is to speak with a member of our talent team directly at [email protected] They will be able to provide more direct feedback about how you can see the success that you are on the road to achieving.

• timbrefox
    timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

Dude, I'm at almost 700 auditions and only one paying job. There were some very good reads in there. I have tweaked, replaced, upgraded, changed almost everything a dozen times. I've been told by the talent team that my stuff sounds great. I have gone to outside sources with auditions and been told I have exactly what's needed. I put in an audition with 100% match, nail the read, it's getting listened to....nothing. I feel the clients just go with who they know. How you get 5 star reviews and great testimonials, I'll never know. I did one job. The client was thrilled. I gave above and beyond what was requested of me and even asked the client if they wouldn't mind tossing a rating and or review my way to help attract these clients with blinders on. Nope, nothing. I have been doing this full time for 12-16 hours a day, 10-20 auditions per day for 5 months...I've changed my profile, 20 times, my proposals 20 times.... It's just not open for anyone to jump into. very clichy.

• timbrefox
    timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

…and I’ve invested between 8-10k bucks in my gear and room.

• essynuves
    essynuves Member, Voices_Guest
    First Comment

That appears to be a problems with many apps that say they can get you work from home. They set up the app, we pay, and they leave it up to you to hit or miss. Maybe these jobs aren't real. Could be.......that would suck!

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic

@essynuves I can assure you the jobs are real!

However, the reality is that voice acting and voice over is a competitive creative industry. Simply signing up and being on the platform is not a guarantee that clients will decide to hire you. To make a comparison: buying a guitar and writing a song does not mean that you will immediately be played on the radio. There are high end professionals with plenty of experience also putting in the time and hours to land work in the industry.

It is going to sound reductive, and probably not be the "Just do ___ and the success if bound to follow!" immediate fix most hope to find, but the reality is that continuing to put in the work day in and day out is the only way to have continued success, not just on our platform, but in making this a serious legitimate career path. It is, at the risk of borrowing a cliche, a marathon and not a sprint.