Punch & Roll?

jonlobb
jonlobb Member, Voices_Premium
5 Likes First Comment

I've heard repeatedly that this is the most time-efficient way to handle mistakes, especially for long-form narration. But I find it interrupts my momentum, so I end up just correcting all of my errors during a full replay of the file. Anyone else have thoughts? Thanks, Jon

Comments

• dbaudio
    dbaudio Member, Voices_Plus
    5 Likes First Comment

As an audio technician turned voice over I can totally relate to your 'momentumus interuptus'. Stopping (sometime repeated) to fix a line can slow the flow. This work up front will make it easier to get a final clean take. If you decide to keep moving I recommend dropping a memory location marker (in ProTools) or an audio market like a finger snap which will be easy to go back to when editing.

• jonlobb
    jonlobb Member, Voices_Premium
    5 Likes First Comment

Thanks!

• rayonbees
    rayonbees Member, Voices_Premium
    First Comment

Yeah, not a big fan of punch and roll. Somewhat in the the same vein, I usually use markers like @dbaudio, or i'll audibly say "pickup 1, 2, etc." on my recording.

Using Logic Pro.

• andreapvo
    andreapvo Member, Voices_Premium
    First Comment

I have a dog training clicker that is louder. It is a great trick to track errors easily. The track will show a quick spike so you can see the line that needs to be removed. Ensure the clicker is loud enough.