Help! Need advice on sound

katiealf
katiealf Member, Voices_Premium
First Comment

As we all know, quality recordings are a must. On 3 separate occasions I've had sound engineers provide feedback on the sound from my closet, aka, studio :) The first said get a new mic, check! It was better but you could hear floor noise and a hum. 2nd guy said eq, and compress, check! But when I normalize, still noise. 3rd said closet too tiny and probably editing it wrong. Sooo, before I scrap the closet and build a booth, can someone listen to these 3 auditions starting with Eggo, then ABM, then Dev and tell me if the sound improves from one to the other? That way I'll know if I need to work on my editing and build a booth, or just my editing. To be clear, I just need feedback on sound. I've listened so often I can't tell anymore. Performance is always a work in progress :) Thanks in advance!!!!

Answers

• ekgabriel
    ekgabriel Member, Voices_Platinum
    5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes

You need "more stuff in the closet" if you will.... more soundproofing. Cover all the flat surfaces, including floor (and music stand if using one). Also, I can hear a lot of your body movement...turn the gain down if you can. A problem with having a room that isn't dead quiet is that you can hear every edit. So go out and get some soundproofing (even those egg type mattress covers will help) and some remnant carpet to throw down to start, then build from there....Also work on your editing...some breaths are gone, others are clipped and ad some fades to your edits so they aren't so abrupt.

Best of luck!

• katiealf
    First Comment

Thanks. It's fully covered in blankets, acoustic tiles, carpet, even a blanket over the table. The problem is it's 2x2, which is why you can hear my movements. I definitely need to work on my editing! I was trying different things in the recordings. So you didn't notice an improvement from 1 to another? I have closed back headphones but I don't hear any of the things you mentioned. What brand headphones do you have? I need to start there so I can hear more as I try different spaces to record in. Thanks again for the feedback!

• hotgravy
    hotgravy Member, Voices_Platinum
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes First Answer

I hear better overall clarity in the DEV sample as opposed to the others. It's also good that there isn't much in the way of reflection so the blankets, tiles, etc seem to be doing a nice job. Closed back headphones are a must so you don't get audio bleed back into the mic. I personally use Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones. But there are a LOT of good headphone choices out there. Just gotta try and find what you like that doesn't "color" the sound. You really want good "flat response" headphones. I had a pair of high end Sony headphones many years ago that I thought were great because they were expensive and sounded awesome with music. But they were very bass heavy and didn't give me an accurate representation of what I was recording.

One of the things I notice is that there's quite a bit of mouth noise on the recordings. This is a tough thing to remedy but much easier to try ways to reduce it before recording so you don't need to edit so much. Look up VO mouth noise and common ways to reduce it.

What mic and audio interface are you using?

• katiealf
    First Comment

Thank you! I originally had Sony headphones and returned them for a pair of closed end Tascom's, which are better but obviously not good for VO. I'll check out the Sennheiser. Glad the Dev sounds a little better, so some of what I'm learning about editing is working. Yeah, the mouth noises are a problem. A small part of it is because I have braces which I remove, but air, saliva goes through the spaces. But there's more I can do so thanks for that reminder! I have a Stellar X2 mic and Scarlett solo interface. Also record in Audacity.

• hotgravy

Cool. That mic and interface should serve you just fine for the time being. Clean recordings are key when being considered for jobs. Keep at it! You're doing great!

• katiealf
    First Comment

Thanks for the encouragement! May I ask what sound editor or daw you listened to the recordings in? The Sennheiser headphones sound the same as my Tascom. I have the sound all the way up on playback and my direct monitor on the Scarlett is set higher than my normal hearing, and I still can't hear the problems. Want to record in 2 different editors and see if Audacity is the problem.

• hotgravy

I use Twisted Wave. And I can't hear the "problems" either. That "dev" sample sounds pretty clear on my monitors and headphones. I'm not hearing reflection or hiss or hum.