How to Make Voice Acting a Career

thezetatester
thezetatester Member, Voices_Premium

I've been a premium member of Voices for a little over a year now, with varying degrees of success. For a little background, in 2020 I was hit by a car and put out of work right before the pandemic hit. With the Unemployment Assistance, I finally had the courage and capital to invest in one of my biggest dreams: being a voice actor! I've more than made enough to cover my investment, and for a while the Unemployment helped with my bills. But recently, I've been behind on rent, and voice over alone doesn't seem to be cutting it-- at least not in the way that I'm currently doing things. Which brings me to the topic of this discussion: What can I (and by extension, everyone else) be doing differently to make Voice Acting a more sustainable career choice? The way I've been doing things is that I do ten auditions per day, five days a week, and hope for the best. I don't have the best microphone or audio software, but I make sure to clean up my tracks. But, I feel like I could be doing better to, say, promote myself. Maybe even beyond this platform. Has anyone had different success doing more, or differently? I've included my favorite Demo (of which this is the third iteration), for review. Any constructive criticism is welcome, and I encourage others to do the same.

Comments

• yunshanwithu
    yunshanwithu Member, Voices_Guest
    First Comment

hi dear, I am glad to hear that you've made some progress in Voices, it gives me some kind of encouragement to start with it since I am a newcomer here.

keep in touch

Jocelyn

• yunshanwithu
    yunshanwithu Member, Voices_Guest
    First Comment

Btw, I am also searching for sth to cover my bills.

hope here will be the right place

• hotgravy
    hotgravy Member, Voices_Platinum
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper

Honestly, it's like approaching anything you want in life. VO takes a lot of time, practice, focus and investment to turn it into a "successful" career. I'm in my 13th year as a full time VO talent and it still takes a ton of hustle every day to make a living at it. My path started with group classes focused on commercial work and developed into one on one coaching with several different coaches over many years. That led to finally producing high quality competitive demos across many VO categories. There's a lot of great opportunities here on Voices. But you have to be able to compete with all the best talent on here as well. That means being an exceptional voice talent (coaching, coaching, coaching!), having very solid audio (doesn't have to be a crazy expensive home studio, although that doesn't hurt), have great attention to detail when giving a client the best audition possible and, of course, auditioning like crazy. I do between 30-40 auditions a day 6 days per week. And I also have agent representation in several states. AND I also do weekly marketing outreach to continue building my own personal repeat client list.

These days, it's not enough just to have a good voice. You need to be a great talent, great engineer, have really good equipment and find job opportunities in different places.

Here on Voices you can really benefit from using their awesome resource library:

It's SUPER important that you fill out your profile completely and cover as many categories that you are comfortable voicing so you can maximize the auditions you receive. It's also important to turn auditions around quickly without sacrificing a great performance. Read the project specs and do your best to give the client what they are looking for. VO takes a thick skin as you will audition for SO much more than you'll actually book. It's not that your audition wasn't great. But VO is subjective and the client may have just liked someone else's take on the script a little better.

Use the resources Voices provides, look closely at the profiles of the top talent on Voices and use any applicable information as a guide to making your profile complete and wide reaching. You don't need "the best" microphone but your mic/interface and the room you record in has to sound competitively professional. Most clients want "broadcast quality" audio. Voices also has videos on YouTube and on their resources page that talk about everything from good mic selection to making the space you record in sound the best it can, etc. Knowledge is power!

Hang in there and good luck!