Looking for Feedback on my Voice Type or Style and Editing feedback?

Best Answer

• hotgravy
    hotgravy Member, Voices_Platinum
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hi Joseph!

First of all, wishing you all the best for success here on Voices!

I noticed in all your auditions that your audio has "pops" and "clicks" throughout each. I'm not sure what's causing them but your audio may be peaking past 0db which could be causing this issue. But that's just a guess. I'd suggest going back to these recordings to see what's happening when those pops and clicks occur and see if you can tell what's going on when looking at the waveform. It's important to clean up the recordings as the client won't want to hire you if you can't supply them with clean audio.

You have a very nice, friendly tone to your voice! Since so many voice overs ask for "conversational" and "real person" these days, it would be a good idea to try some reads that are more natural, just like you're talking to a good friend. Nice and casual with some smile on the voice. We all tend to give certain reads more "drama" and "up and down" inflection than they actually need. See what you can do with that kind voice of yours in a style that's just simple and conversational.

Also, Voices has a great page dedicated to Talent Resources. Maybe some of the items here can be helpful to you.

https://www.voices.com/resources#talent

Best of luck!

Answers

• joseph-ewing-jaefator-voice
    joseph-ewing-jaefator-voice Member, Voices_Guest
    Name Dropper First Comment

@hotgravy Thank you for the great feedback! I will listen to my auditions again and see if I can locate the root of my clicks and pops. I want to be able to deliver quality auditions and audio to my clients.

I appreciate your feedback on my voice as well. I'll go back over my auditions and other reads and work on delivering a more realistic read opposed to the dramatic reads😄.

Otherwise, aside from what you pointed out previously, was everything else pretty solid?

• hotgravy
    hotgravy Member, Voices_Platinum
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes First Answer

It's really all about how you use your voice. So many of us got into VO because we heard people say again and again "You have a great voice! You should be in radio or do voice over". But having a good voice is only the beginning. Like anything else in life, a career like VO takes time, commitment, practice, investment and a lot of hustle.

I personally spent the better part of my first 3 years in VO taking group VO classes, private coaching, improv classes, acting classes and practicing all different kinds of copy to really become proficient at being able to give my best and be competitive with any project I audition for.

It really helped for me to listen to VO talent who had been doing this for a LONG time. Learning from the pros made me so much better. I remember spending hours listening to the demos of top talent and working on my reads until I knew I could be competitive. That was a game changer.

Having a process for your auditions and really "connecting" with someone when you read is vital. In my opinion, the biggest difference between the pros and everyone else is believability. You have to really reach the person listening on an emotional level.

A great coach of mine once told me that we as VO talent don't actually sell anything tangible with our voice. For example, we might be reading a script for a car brand. But we're not trying to sell someone a car. Ultimately, yes. But what we are really doing is conveying that feeling someone will get when they buy that car. The freedom, the adventure, the luxury, the security. If the script is well written and the VO talent is able to convey that message in an authentic, believable fashion, then the emotional connection will be made. And it feels great when you can listen back to your read and say "I believe me".

• mikefesko
    mikefesko Member, Voices_Premium
    First Comment

That believability aspect is key. It conveys an authoritativeness that helps the listener drop their guard against being sold to, and opens their willingness to be involved in the content and message. This leads to an educational or decision-making moment versus a tuning-out period.