Another newbie...

eli-z
eli-z Member, Voices_Guest
Name Dropper First Comment

Hello!

Sorry to say that this is just one more post asking for advice on a couple demos I've done. I'm very, very new to this, and the only experience I've had is reading books and acting out the characters with my younger family members and preschool students.

But I've always wanted to give this a shot, bought myself a microphone, and recorded a couple pieces of audio from the practice scripts on the site.

The demos attached are from the scripts provided by Voices. If it would be helpful to include more detailed info on them, please let me know. But the audios will be for the Velveteen Rabbit, a Game Show sample (I make slight, awkward pauses towards the end...terrible, I know), and two Strong Female Leads from a video game.

I don't know if my voice--or my attempts at acting--are marketable, but i

f anyone would like to take a listen and let me know what you think--good or bad--that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• hotgravy
    hotgravy Member, Voices_Platinum
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes First Answer

Hello @eli-z

First of all, it's great that you're taking the leap and following your passion to give VO a try.

After 13+ years in the VO business I can say that personally the most important thing you can do, especially as a new voice talent, is to seek out and invest in great coaching. This has been made much more accessible in the age of Zoom so no matter where you are in the world you can work with the best coaches in the VO categories that interest you the most.

I know Voices has a section somewhere about resources for coaches and the Voice Over Resource Guide is a great place to find out of lot of info about VO including a long list of coaches. Find one (or some people work with multiple coaches) to hone your craft so you can be competitive in the marketplace. They can also help guide you to folks who can help you set up your audio quality to industry standards. If you go to the Voice Talent Resources page here on Voices you'll also find a ton of ebooks and user guides to help get your started.

Most importantly, have fun with it all! If you put in the time, practice, training, etc. you could find that VO really suits you! :)

Good luck!

• eli-z
    eli-z Member, Voices_Guest

Hi @hotgravy, thank you so much for your response to my post, and for the great advice!

I definitely need to check out those resources, and once I'm in a stable position, find a VO coach that can help me improve, not only on the voice acting bit but also on the quality of my audio, as I'm sure it's not close to where it needs to be.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share all this info with me!

• hotgravy
    hotgravy Member, Voices_Platinum
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes First Answer

Hi @eli-z

Glad to help and happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Building your own VO business does take a lot of work but it can be well worth it. Luckily, there are very good people out there who can really help with coaching, demo creation, audio setup and more.

You're not alone!! :)

• lisaangel
    lisaangel Member, Voices_Premium

@eli-z You have a gorgeous timbre of voice, but your microphone will not cut it on this platform as you'll be competing with people who have amazing equipment and incredible home studios. If you can't afford a better one yet, it will help to get a pop filter, because I can hear a plosive sound every time you say letters like "p" or "b". I agree with Hotgravy regarding getting a coach, because it will help you to really own the text (at the moment it does sound like you are reading it instead of "acting" it). Acting and voice lessons would help too :)