Who Inspires You to Make Music or to Create?

stephciccarelli
stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
edited July 7 in Music

We all get into music and creating music because there is usually someone who inspires us.

Who has been like a mentor to you in music, be it someone you know or someone whose music you appreciate?

My grandmother inspired me to become a singer as both a solo artist and chorister. Early musical influences include Beethoven, Mozart, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Celine Dion. Classical music is definitely my fave, but as a music major, I've learned to appreciate many different genres of music and listen to a variety of musical artists.

Who inspired or continues to inspire you? Are there any artists today that help you with your own creativity?

Add your thoughts below!

Comments

• ganbeck
    ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

Hi @Stephanie Ciccarelli.

My father was a very good singer/songwriter in the style of Jim Croce or early Kenny Loggins. I got my love of music from him and he taught me my first instrument. However, I'm more inspired by AOR style rock from the 70's and 80's. Bands like Foreigner, Boston, Journey, Whitesnake, Def Leppard and others are what made me want to play. I spent quite a few years as a versatile musician in different bands when I was in my 20's. I could play guitar, keys and could sing and write, so there was always a local band who needed a Swiss Army Knife to round out their lineup :)

I'll put myself out there and share a pic from my "glory days" :) Just remember: It was the 80's and we all looked like that!

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic

@ganbeck the hair will get all the headlines, but check out those peace pants! Styles on styles.

Thanks for sharing

• ganbeck
    ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

I actually borrowed those pants from my girlfriend at the time :) Hey bro, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful". If you are not old enough to remember this reference, I have provided it here for convenience LOL!

• tenortimbre
    tenortimbre Member, Voices_Premium
    Photogenic First Comment

Growing up listening to rock and roll radio stations, then collecting CD's, I wanted to study music in school. Fast forward a few years, and I actually got to meet some pop music singers before/after they became famous (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Kesha, Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Billie Joe Armstrong...). So, I asked them what gives them inspiration. I was surprised that their songwriting process was so different from mine. My own creativity stayed the same which is either application of music theory concepts or improvisation freedom of expression trying to never play the same thing twice.