Normalization and Loudness

ganbeck
ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

Hi all,

I'm curious what volume everybody produces their audio files in for both demo and final production. I've read quite a bit about normalizing and using loudness to create audio that clocks in at about -14 LUFS, but I've only recently been doing that.

What do you guys use and what tool(s) do you use to do it?

-Gan

Comments

• markofthewild
    markofthewild Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

I use just basic gain structure and some compression, the only plugin i use for demos is a gate, EQ is flat. I run the main channel through a buss then to the master. If need be i can add extra gain on any channel, bus or the main. plus i am using a SM7b instead of an condenser mic until i build my iso room which i am waiting for my fist gig to do. I dont want to spend money until I make some!

• markofthewild
    markofthewild Member, Voices_Premium

lol, we could use a delete post option...here is the screenshot

• jsaras
    jsaras Member, Voices_Premium
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi, Mark. I record to a level of -9 to -12 on Adobe Audition. Then I use the effects rack with a hard limit (I think to -9db) if I remember correctly), gain boost of +6 db, Izotope de-click, Waves de-noise, and final hard limit to -3. No eq. For demos the final hard limit is to -1. I don't like compression so I use the hard limits and gain to get the same effect manually. I use my Sennheiser 416 mic and don't need eq.

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic

Great tip, @jsaras !

• timbrefox
    timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium

Is there an industry standard at -14 LUFS though? I see it in some tutorials. -3 on final limit, -1 on demos. is where my direction is. I would love to hear from someone who has booked more than one job.

• ekgabriel
    ekgabriel Member, Voices_Platinum
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper

If just sending VO, just make sure your levels are peaking near -6 db. My levels sit between -20 to -6 for most "conversational" type reads. Most of the time your VO is going to an engineer and he/she can put the levels where she/he needs them, or into a program that "auto" levels the files for broadcast/online use.

• timbrefox
    timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium

Thanks. That's good clarification. Seems hard to get this valuable info on here. I had been submitting auditions hitting -03 to -1 db. So, you would submit auditions and final job files at -6db? Should I not be concerned with the LUFS rating then? because as you say, engineers after me can hone that.

• ekgabriel
    ekgabriel Member, Voices_Platinum
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper

They are basically the same. What I would do is send an audition file to an engineer (offer to pay for her/his advice) and ask what he/she thinks and offer suggestions. If you don't know a good audio engineer yet....get to know one! Shooting them some cash to help you dial in your quality could pay off exponentially...plus most of them are super cool.....