The dreaded mouth click!

ganbeck
ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

Hi all,

I find that mouth clicks are my biggest problem when I record. I'm very particular when I do my edits and even the slightest click becomes something that I must surgically remove during the editing process. It can be a little tedious and for longer scripts, it is a time suck.

I have several audio plug-ins from iZoptope, Accusonus and Native Instruments that all claim to remove clicks, but they honestly never seem to catch them...not even close. So, I'm wondering what tools others are using to eliminate mouth clicks. I know I need to hydrate, etc. and I try to be very conscious when recording (I will retake right on the spot if I realize I just made a mouth click), but they are still my biggest Achilles Heel.

Comments

• timbrefox
    timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

I just be conscious of it during takes and use a good noise gate. I use Logic Pro X.

...other than that...yep...it's a lot of editing.

cheers.

• stephciccarelli
    stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper

@timbrefox, thank you for sharing your tips!

@ganbeck, hydration will be key here, both before a session and during one. Keeping hydrated will prevent many mouth noises. As you've said, it takes surgical precision (and time!) to remove clicks and the like, so the less of them that occur during a performance, the better.

Other dental hygiene helps with mouth noises, too. It's not unheard of for a talent to brush their teeth or floss before a session to avoid having too much saliva or interference from bits of food in their teeth. Thoroughly warming up the voice and loosening the jaw in vocal warmups (think yawning, yawn sighs, tongue twisters, scales on an Ah vowel, etc.) may also help prevent mouth noises.

To take this a step further, what you eat or drink in advance of a session can affect mouth noises or the lack thereof. Avoid drying beverages (coffee, tea -- yes, even herbal teas can dry you out! -- etc.) that affect your vocal folds. Room temperature water is best. If you drink something too hot, you could be in trouble, and if you drink something too cold, your vocal folds will tighten up, which isn't helpful.

Eating before a session almost guarantees you will have more work to do in the mouth noise department, so keep that in mind. Do what you need to do to be both healthy and have a good recording session. If there's more editing after the fact because you needed to eat something, so be it. Your health comes first.

Here's an article that was contributed to our blog by voice talent, David Houston. He addresses dental hygiene and mouth noises in this piece.

• ganbeck
    ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

Good advice all around! I might try a noise gate and see if that helps. I just wish all my expensive plug-ins that purport to remove clicks actually worked! 😝

• timbrefox
    timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

Yeah, play around with your distance from the mic/ voice volume to find that sweet spot where the gate will help. If the clicks are integrated into a word too much gate will make your voice sound robotic.

good luck.

• suzeeek
    suzeeek Member, Voices_Premium
    Photogenic First Comment

If I'm having a lot of trouble with mouth noise, I brush my teeth and rinse with biotene. I have dry mouth from my medication and drink a gallon of water a day LOL.

You might also be too close to your mic.

Do you have RX8 with mouth declick?