one or 3 takes

mlrogus
mlrogus Member, Voices_Premium
First Comment

Hi,

I'd like your input. I've been recording one 15 second take for my audition using my best take.

But I've been told that three 15 second auditions are better showing different ways to do the read.

PLEASE let me know what the best way is and who trained you to do 3.

Thank you for answering.

Marie Lenay Rogus

Comments

• stephciccarelli
    stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper

Hi @mlrogus, thank you for your question! It's great to hear from you and I hope my reply finds you well.

If you are going to do multiple takes (two is generally what someone would do if they were to record multiple takes), we encourage you to let the client know at the beginning of your audition that there are two takes. If they are not told in advance, they may not listen beyond part of the first take. If you include more than one take, be sure to also mention that fact in your proposal.

One teacher I have heard discuss trying out three takes to get to the perfect read is Pat Fraley in LA. I've watched him do this masterclass style in person at a voice conference. That was a lot of fun!

Regarding the number of reads: It isn't necessarily that you submit three reads for consideration in the same file, but that you try out three reads before deciding which read to submit. In most cases, the read you're going to want to submit is the read that falls in the middle of the two extremes.

Not too hot, not too cold, but just right.

For example, you could approach a read with a gentle delivery. Then try it with a harsh delivery. Following that, find the middle ground between the two reads (the midpoint, if you will between the emotions), and voila! You've more than likely found where you should take that read. Not too gentle, nor too harsh, but just right (somewhere in the middle).

Many other teachers uses the Goldilocks framework for getting to the read that is neither too hot nor too cold, but 'just right.' You could also think of a read as being too fast, too slow, or again, just right.

Here are a couple podcasts that you might find interesting.

One is an episode of Mission Audition featuring Donovan Weyland, an audio engineer, sound designer and coach in Chicago. We had a blast recording this episode and I hope you enjoy it. While specific to voice acting for kids, Donovan takes a moment to address the Goldilocks method for pacing a read (to skip ahead to his thoughts on the matter, you can toggle to the transcript and search for the term Goldilocks).

Another great resource I'd like to share with you is an episode of Voice Over Experts featuring voice talent and coach, Marc Cashman in the Los Angeles area. He also addresses the Goldilocks method, this time with regard not overdoing or under doing it when speaking clearly. Again, to skip to the section where this is discussed, toggle over to the transcription of the episode and search for Goldilocks.