So confused about quotes

timbrefox
timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

The pricing guide on voices.com shows a value specifically for each usage of a recording but the proposed budgets are all so much lower. Example, a current job posting has a budget of $100-$249 but it's usage is internet video which voices has priced at $1000 -$1749. They are all under budgeting and I'm not sure where to target. Do I just aim in their budget? I have submitted about 140 auditions that have all been wishing their budget. I just submitted 3 that followed the voices.com pricing guide....I am just so confused at how the clients are being guided to submit their budget.

Comments

• timbrefox

I tried to edit but the editor is just having issues. "within their budgets"...not "wishing"

• michelewood
    michelewood Member, Voices_Premium
    First Comment

Hmm i bought up the very same issue with support. You should price according to what the job is worth, not the client budget. Support tell me that often the client needs educating about proper rates and often they will pay more than their stated budget when they realise their initial figure was unrealistic. I'm really not too sure why the site lets clients select "worldwide in perpetuity" for usage and then allows them to price the job at $100. The minimum price should be in some way related to the usage that they are asking for

Alternatively maybe some clients state their budget to reflect the VO's BSF - so you could quote them your BSF and explain in your message that the cost of the usage license will be an additional fee once you have fuller details of where and for how long they intend to use your work

• timbrefox

Yeah, thanks man. It's good to hear how others deal with this issue. I notice a lot of jobs are way out of line with the suggested rates. Also curious why there is no set template for clients that only allows numbers within a certain parameter based on the jobs usage.

• ekgabriel
    ekgabriel Member, Voices_Platinum
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper

Voices will tell you to bid what you feel the project is worth even if it's outside the range. But back up for a sec... if the job isn't worth it to you DON'T AUDITION FOR IT. I don't waste my time on auditioning anything that is way off budget...time is too valuable. If it's off by a little (and yes, depending on how much I've made that month "a little" does vary) I suck it up and bid in there budget.

• melanie_scroggins
    melanie_scroggins Member, Voices_Premium
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Hey @timbrefox,

Like the others have mentioned, if you really want to work on a project but the budget is way lower than you'd expect to be paid for that job, quote what is fair to you and the work. However, it's usually best to avoid those jobs altogether. Think of these jobs as what you'd find on Upwork or Fiverr for VO work most of the time - super low and affordable budgets for the client but not the professional (you). I never audition for these jobs. Waste of time and talent.

I always refer to the GVAA rate guide (Bible of VO rates) for any job I'm unsure about and always recommend it to new talent. Check it out and be sure to bookmark it in your browser: https://globalvoiceacademy.com/gvaa-rate-guide-2/

• timbrefox

Thank you so much for your outlook on this. I appreciate it.