Where do I start here???

michaelalcala
michaelalcala Member, Voices_Guest
edited July 15 in Voices Tips & Tutorials

Hello all, I have been interested in voice over a long time and have done some research, got all my equipment, set ups, etc. However this feels so overwhelming. My question is -

What is the first thing I should do to begin? I have 0 experience and do not have a clue of where to start. Would someone be able to give me a listed starting point that I can follow to dip my toes in the water?

Comments

• stephciccarelli
    stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper

Hi @michaelalcala, great to hear from you.

Sounds like you are on the right track with doing some research, getting your studio going and of course, joining us here!

I just visited your profile and it looks like you may still need to record a sample of your voice to upload as a demo. Once you have a demo, you'll be searchable in the Voices search engine and clients will be able to hear your voice.

Have you been listening to industry podcasts or done any voice over coaching as of yet? Do you know what kind of voice over work you are most interested in or what genre of VO your voice lends itself to? So much of voice over is branding and knowing what you are able to do. I'm happy to get into more detail once I hear back from you with answers to the questions above.

For the time being, here are a few links that might be helpful to you and others reading this thread. The first link is helpful in that it explores the whole getting started question. I've also linked to Mission Audition (a podcast where you can hear actual auditions get critiqued), the Voices blog and our directory of voice over coaches. These coaches are from all over the world and have their own areas of expertise. Many of them have been on our Voice Over Experts and Mission Audition podcasts. Be sure to tune into those podcasts and read all you can. When Voices hosts a webinar, be sure to attend or watch the videos after on YouTube. Also, follow along on social media if you aren't already doing so.

Thanks again for reaching out!