Which Characters Inspire You?

Andrew Zuber
Andrew Zuber Administrator
25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic

Inspiration to pursue a career in a creative field can come from anywhere. As voice talent, a single unique character can be all that is necessary to spark that feeling of "I want to do that!" and set you off down the path of making a living doing voices and creating your own characters.

Which characters, actors, or unique voices do you remember from before you started your journey that gave you that magic spark to start experimenting with your own style?

Comments

• stephciccarelli
    stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper

This is a great conversation! Thank you for starting it, @Andrew Zuber. I would love to hear from everyone, especially those who are in animation. Sometimes, you get to voice the character you grew up watching! That definitely happens in the case of character caretaking with characters that belong to a franchise.

• markofthewild
    markofthewild Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited July 9

oh boy, down the rabbit hole we go!

First we go to the DJs.

1. Wolfman Jack, whew, never been anyone like him since
    2. Alan Freed, most likely the greatest DJ ever
    3. Dr. Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cincinnati, anybody who gets fired for saying booger on the air is my hero!
    4. Chris in the morning from Northern Exposure even though i was already 15 years into my career
    5. Joe Anthony and Lou Roney from 99.5 KISS in San Antonio Tx. Legendary DJs from there

voices

1. Lorenzo Music who was Carleton from Rhoda and Garfield
    2. Don LaFontain of course
    3. Just about anybody who has a big baritone or bass voice. I believe I am a tenor though I'm not even sure how to tell
    4. Ben Stein, love me some deadpan
    5. AND OF COURSE.........Mel Blanc

Singers

1. Karen Carpenter, still to this day the greatest female vocalist ever also a great drummer who had impeccable timing
    2. Judith Durham of The Seekers only one who can come close to Karen Carpenter
    3. Ole Blue Eyes of course
    4. Johnny Cash, Awesome voice
    5. Mel Tillis, stuttered horribly but sang beautifully
    6. no one who uses auto tune!!!!!

Actors/TV personalities

1. James Earl Jones, duh
    2. Cynthia Geary, also a Northern Exposure alumni. She earned a Bachelor of Arts in vocal performance from the University of Mississippi. watch the episodes where she cant talk normal, only sing.
    3. Ed McMahon, Heeeeeeeeersssssseeee Johnny!
    4. Morgan Freeman, again, duh
    5. Rod Serling, You just cant recreate the great TV intro from The Twilight Zone no matter how many times they reboot the show
    6. Sam Elliot, double duh. I was born and raised in Texas but never really developed a heavy Tx accent, just a light one when i wanna bring it out

and many more....maybe a part 2 one day

Mark of the Wild

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic

@markofthewild Sam Elliott is THE guy for me, too. As good as it gets for that style.

• markofthewild
    markofthewild Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

oh, and I forgot the very first one!!

Gerald McBoing-Boing