Is it frowned upon...

timbrefox
timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

If I really thought an audition captured my signature sound or something I've tapped into that's viable, can I use it as a demo on my page?

cheers.

Comments

• stephciccarelli
    stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited July 9

@timbrefox, thank you for asking this very important question!

The short answer is No, you can't use auditions as demos on your profile at Voices or anywhere else.

The client owns the rights to the copy. Unless a client gives someone express written permission that they can use their copy as a demo, you will be unable to use it for promotional purposes.

A talent did this in the past and when the client found out, they reached out to us and required that we remove the demo from the talent's profile as it infringed on their copyright.

Some time ago, I interviewed a lawyer about copyright law and how it might apply to voice over specifically. We address auditions in addition to other subjects you may be interested in. Take a look!

So far as using copy you've already been paid to record on demos:

You can ask past clients of yours if you can use work you've already done for them as spots on your demo or as a standalone demo. Always get written permission to do this so that you have a record of permission being granted. The best time to ask a client about this kind of thing is right after they've let you know how pleased they are with the work you did. This is also the optimum time to ask for a testimonial.

• timbrefox
    timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

Great. Thanks for the info.

Very helpful.

• mred3000
    mred3000 Member, Voices_Premium
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment

timbrefox, I'm glad you asked that question. I just got a repeat client and as soon as they give feedback on yesterday's submission, I'm going to ask to use the piece in my demo or at least get a testimonial.

• stephciccarelli
    stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited July 13

@mred3000 That's great! Thank you for sharing.

@timbrefox, you're very welcome. Happy to help!