Peer Feedback: 30 Sec Automotive Script

Andrew Zuber
Andrew Zuber Administrator
100 Comments 25 Likes First Answer Photogenic
edited July 15 in Peer Feedback

A big part of being in this community is the chance to review and assist your peers!

This week, we're welcoming you to demonstrate your skills with one of our sample scripts.

We'll start with a 30-second Automotive Commercial Sample Script: You can find the script here

Upload your take on the spot, or listen and provide helpful feedback to your peers.

Comments

• t1dman
    t1dman Member, Voices_Premium
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Comment

I saw this earlier and really wanted to participate! I hope I am not too late! I have a lot to learn as I have auditioned over 600 times and have not been hired for even one job. I want to learn and improve!

• 5fef55906e2169f3b6b5414b1b2f43
    5fef55906e2169f3b6b5414b1b2f43 Member, Voices_Guest
    First Comment

needs a bit more energy

• t1dman

I have the type of voice that I can yell into the mic and it still sounds like im talking calmly!

• Andrew Zuber

@t1dman Thanks for being the first one to take the plunge on a feedback session!

• t1dman

Hey! After 600 unsuccessful auditions, it's safe to say I need to learn something!

• ganbeck
    ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

Hi @t1dman,

I'm happy to provide feedback that I will hope is taken constructively :)

The demo sounds like you are reading it from a script as opposed to speaking conversationally. If you can practice reading it more like it's just something you've thought about and are telling a friend, that will improve it. It sounds as if you are trying very hard to read each word distinctly and carefully. That's not a bad thing, but the trick is not to SOUND like you're doing that 😉

Try relaxing and just speaking as you would to somebody in person.

I hope that helps!

• t1dman

Thank you. I do appreciate your feedback. I find that feedback interesting. I am somewhat trying to articulate. As I am generally quite mush mouth if I dont put thought into my words. However, this IS actually how I talk to a friend when I'm passionate about something. I get excited, talk loud, and over annunciate most of words.

But I will practice more with annunciating a bit more... conversationally, i think is what you're trying to say.

• peter-hopkins
    peter-hopkins Member, Voices_Premium
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Hi @t1dman

The audio quality was excellent.

I would recommend a bit more enthusiasm for the product as well as bit faster pace. Imagine someone staring through the showroom window and practically drooling at the thought of owning and driving this car.

In order to avoid coming off like I'm reading copy, I imagine myself actually talking to my target audience in front of me and how much they will really benefit from using this product or service. You can't sell it if you're noting feeling it yourself.

Peter

• mick_lager
    mick_lager Member, Voices_Premium
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

Great day all! Here's my take... fire away.

• Andrew Zuber

@mick_lager Thanks for submitting!

• t1dman

I appreciate all the feedback. It's interesting to hear. I was in sales for 7 years (successfully), and people often told me it was because of my attitude. That is clearly not coming across here. I would love pointers on how to convey this, as my voice does not seem to convey this message alone!

• peter-hopkins
    peter-hopkins Member, Voices_Premium
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 10

Hi @t1dman

Maybe what you could do is to listen to each sentence at a time that you recorded. Imagine yourself as the target audience and ask yourself: 'How would I respond to a salesperson saying that sentence to me? More importantly, how would this guy have to talk to get my attention and have me put confidence in what he's telling me?'

Whatever vocal delivery would get YOU to sign on the dotted line, would probably work for your target audience as well. Your experience in sales can be a ready source of technique as well.

Peter

• t1dman

@peter-hopkins

I honestly feel like I would buy from this guy. lol. The only difference here from the way i talk in real life is articulation. I talk with intention all the time, but in real life, i don't articulate as much.

• t1dman

@mick_lager

I would have said that it feels a bit over the top for me. But my feedback says I wasn't energetic enough so 🤷‍♂️.

I liked it otherwise. I noticed you used stereo. I have been using mono for all of my recordings. Not just auditions, but jobs, too. I was under the impression that this was preferred.

• t1dman

@peter-hopkins

I got so caught up in the feedback I never thanked you for both your POSITIVE and constructive feedback, so thank you!

• mick_lager
    mick_lager Member, Voices_Premium
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

@t1dman

Thanks for the feedback. Stereo is what I'm running atm. Ran Mono most of the time before but after 2k auditions and 97 shortlists and only 1 paying job... I'm trying anything at this point. Any ideas?

• markofthewild
    markofthewild Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

Ok, i'll take the plunge.

I'm Mark of the Wild and I'm new to the VO industry but was a DJ for many, many years. Let me know what you think. All feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks!

• markofthewild
    markofthewild Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited June 21

Ooops, I didn't read the beginning of the discussion...here is an updated demo of the script posted...let me know any feedback and don't hold back...any help is good help

• brettbower
    brettbower Member, Voices_Premium
    Photogenic First Comment

Figured I'd take a stab at this just for fun! Yes, I know my sample is not studio quality.... but wanted to at least get more practice in on delivery and timing while waiting to finish setting up my home studio in a few days. I've done a lot of freelance VO work over the years.... just not through this site yet.

Character voices are my specialty, but oddly enough, the vast majority of voice jobs I've booked are just straight narration, announcer, etc.

Again, this is NOT studio quality and I'm well aware of that. :) Just a quick sample on my smartphone. Getting some practice in. Thanks for any feedback on style, vocal register, delivery, etc.

• ganbeck
    ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

I do mine in stereo as well and haven't had any requests to change to mono with work that I've done. I liked your voice but I think I'm hearing just a tiny bit of room reflection in there that you might try to reduce in future recordings.

• mondyeustache
    mondyeustache Member, Voices_Guest
    First Comment

Hello everyone. I have absolutely no experience in voiceover. I'd appreciate

any feedback. Thanks in advance