Shortlists

timbrefox
timbrefox Member, Voices_Premium
10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic

If anyone who has actually been hired could just shoot a ray of hope my way....On jobs you've been hired for, were you always shortlisted first? Do clients hire without shortlisting?

I'm starting to feel like Susan Lucci here. lol. creeping up to 200 auditions submitted, not a single hired gig yet. Just need a little hope that some of my 60 "deciding" auditions might actually hire me.

Hope everyone has a great day!

cheers.

Comments

• ganbeck
    ganbeck Member, Voices_Premium
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper

Hi @timbrefox

I was short listed for 2 jobs and hired for 1. I've asked for an enhancement that I think Voices.com is working on now. It will show you your ratio of "auditions listened" to "booked". As I was telling @Stephanie Ciccarelli , that information is more important to me, because I don't really care about my booking ratio for auditions that were never heard. I really only care about the ones where they heard my audition but chose somebody else :)

So, my current stats are:

19 auditions heard

2 shortlisted

1 booked

• timbrefox

Ok, so I've had

127 auditions listened to

5 shortlisted

0 booked

My question is, Has anyone been hired for a job they were NOT shortlisted for?

Or do all hires get shortlisted first?

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Answer Photogenic

Thanks for the great advice, @ekgabriel! Always appreciate your input and expertise.

• timbrefox

...but still my question...Has anybody been hired for a job that they were NOT shortlisted for?

...or do they all shortlist prior to hiring.

can I be hired without making a shortlist?

• stephciccarelli
    stephciccarelli Member, Voices_Guest
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper

@timbrefox, there are definitely talent who book on Voices without their audition being shortlisted.

@ginascarpa tweeted a couple weeks ago (June 29th, 2021) on this very subject. In the tweet, she shared that of the last 20 jobs she had booked at Voices, she was shortlisted 9 times and not shortlisted 11 times. There's some hope for you all, right there! Gina, if you'd like to elaborate on this, please do. You're a great encouragement to others.

• ginascarpa
    ginascarpa Member, Voices_Premium
    5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Thanks so much for the tag @Stephanie Ciccarelli! Yeah, I book pretty regularly here on Voices and one thing I've learned during my time on the site is to not really read into the shortlist/likes if I can help it. I do like getting them, because it tells me that I did something right. So even if I don't get the job, I still find it really encouraging and it helps me on future auditions. But more times than not, I haven't been shortlisted when I've gotten booked. Just keep pushing yourself forward and try not to let it bring you down or pull your focus away from what really matters - just being your authentic self in your auditions! Good luck, I'm here to support you if you have questions.

• timbrefox

@Stephanie Ciccarelli that is exactly what I wanted to hear. lol.

Thanks kindly.

@ginascarpa cheers to you too. I love hearing any insight from successful VO's. Your words really struck me today as I have had some sort of awakening today. You know, I set out to do this because I felt my voce has unique characteristics to it. I've always been told that. However when I started this, I felt the need to emulate the known sounds of a male VO. almost as if I have been trying to replicate some sort of normal voicing. Well, 185 auditions in and today I just started actually being myself on the mic and the results of todays auditions kinda brought it home for me. I have to, as you so nicely said, be my authentic self. Now, I have to make a ton of demos that reflect my natural uniqueness.

Thanks.

• ginascarpa
    ginascarpa Member, Voices_Premium
    5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

@timbrefox that's so nice of you, thank you for the response. A lot of people get into VO initially because they were told they have a great or nice-sounding voice, then quickly find out it's a LOT more than that. Voiceover is tough but I LOVE IT. The most important thing is being yourself and giving genuine performances in your reads. Don't worry about what the client might think or getting likes, etc. You just read the specs and script and then really bring yourself in your audition. Once you sort of settle into that mindset, things can change really quickly for the better. I'm totally rooting for you and if you ever need anything, let me know.

• timbrefox

@ginascarpa Thank you. Good keys to success in anything, Be yourself, stay driven, keep a positive attitude and surround yourself with great people. I really appreciate having you on my side. I will be sure to keep in touch.

Have a great day!

• nickbyram
    nickbyram Member, Voices_Premium
    Photogenic First Comment

Very inspiring, thank you for initially posting this!