Frustrated with Audacity 3.0.2

kjack151
kjack151 Member, Voices_Premium
10 Comments First Answer

Hello community,

I need help. I had some work done on my computer and as a result had to re-install Audacity (3.0.2). Since then i'm having issues with my noisefloor being too low - I don't hear any noise at all. I've attached an example for you to listen too. Can anyone help me?

Thanks to all!

Comments

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Answer Photogenic

Hi @kjack151,

I had a listen and didn't hear anything, but a better-trained ear hopefully will be able to catch something better than I would.

PS- Nice read!

• kjack151
    10 Comments First Answer

Thank you Andrew. I’m baffled too. I want to submit this but not if it doesn’t meet specs.

• Andrew Zuber

@kjack151

I passed this along to someone one our team with a well-trained ear and here's what he said:

"Yea I am hearing some noise. I can also hear that a noise-gate was applied to the audio, so it may be masking the noise-floor, but it's certainly there. You can hear it at the beginning right when you press play. It's not clear enough wether thats noise from the equipment or noise from the space, but it's enough to impact his hiring rate for sure.

Great levels and proximity though! The room also sounds pretty good!"

• kjack151
    10 Comments First Answer

Thanks for the feedback! I don't know enough about sound stuff to fix it. Would you mind asking your teammate how to fix it?

• Andrew Zuber

It can be a little difficult to assess that without having some raw recordings. If you can provide a recording with no plugins, I should be able to get you an answer.

• ekgabriel
    ekgabriel Member, Voices_Platinum
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper

Sounds like a gain issue...what mic are you using? what board?

• ginascarpa
    ginascarpa Member, Voices_Premium
    5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Hey @kjack151 I took a listen this morning and did hear some background noise right up front (not HUGE but it's there), then at the end it sounds like maybe it was silenced? Can you tell me a little more about your sound setup? What microphone and interface and also what is your booth setup like? I will try to help!

• kjack151
    10 Comments First Answer

I have a Focusrite CM25 Interface and Focusrite Scarlett Solo microphone.

Booth photos - I had this built last year:

• kjack151
    10 Comments First Answer

Note: a couple of weeks ago I had an additional SSD installed, and they had to re-install Windows.

• ekgabriel
    ekgabriel Member, Voices_Platinum
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper

I would first turn up the gain on the Focusrite interface. Sounds to me like you've normalized your audio and it boosted up a bit of "static" noise. If that doesn't work, I'd unplug everything that isn't essential to your audio from the computer, record, see if the noise is there, if not, add back equipment one at a time until you find the culprit. USB, especially on a mac, used to have tons of noise....

• kjack151
    10 Comments First Answer

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give these a try and let you know what happens!

• markofthewild
    markofthewild Member, Voices_Premium
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic