Usage Fees

zuka
zuka Member, Voices_Premium
First Comment

The agent in England asked me about my usage/buy-out fees. So I'd like to know what the standard rate in the European market is. The specs for the project is as follows:

1. Duration of the video is 60 seconds.

2. It will be used in the client's own channel - e.g. Youtube and other SNS.

3. The time frame of the usage is indefinite.

I'd appreciate it if you could share your knowledge with me. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Andrew Zuber
    Andrew Zuber Administrator
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Answer Photogenic

Hi @zuka!

Understanding that there are several variables that go into this sort of thing depending on market, we have a quick guide on industry rate standards available here: https://www.voices.com/rates

• zuka
    First Comment

Thanks a lot!

• michelewood
    michelewood Member, Voices_Premium
    First Comment

Usually internet usage in the UK is anywhere between 50% - 400% of the BSF per year, depending on the size of the company and scope of the campaign. Checking how many social media followers/subscribers they have will give you an idea of how many people might see the work.

If they are using the material in paid-to-be-promoted internet spots then try to find out the number of impressions per year (this ought to be priced in their marketing plan) - impressions can be converted to TVRs then you can calculate the usage costs on usefee.tv (490,000 impressions = 1 TVR).

In perpetuity is not really advisable. It is not likely that the client will want to keep the same video for more than 2 or 3 years anyway, but I would license 5 years as a maximum. If you license your voice to be used indefinitely and a competitor comes along in a couple of years and offers you an amazing deal to be the voice of their brand, you may find you cant accept the job because you are already the voice of a competitor

• zuka
    First Comment

Thanks.

• zuka
    First Comment